A workflow represents the process or set of steps/activities (e.g. set goals, approve goals, etc.) required for goal setting or any review cycle for an Organization. A workflow is mandatory for goal setting, performance reviews, and surveys.
The steps to create a new workflow are as follows.
To create a new workflow
1. Navigate to Admin > HR Administration
2. Under Performance Module Setup, click Workflow
Search View lists all the workflows in the system.
3. To add the workflow master details, click Add. An Add Workflow pop-up window is shown.
4. Give a unique workflow name (e.g. Annual Appraisal Workflow 2019, 360 Feedback Workflow 2019) for future reference.
5. Provide a description for the workflow.
6. Select the type - Performance management for goal setting & performance appraisal process and compensation management for the compensation revision process.
7. Click Add. A new workflow is created with the initial version number. Every time the workflow is published, a new version is created.
8. To customize the initial version of the new workflow design, click Manage Design
10. When you edit an active workflow, a draft version is created, that you can then modify by clicking the Edit icon. When you've finished creating the workflow, you can publish your draft.
11. There are default built-in workflows that cannot be edited; however, you can copy them and create new workflows.
12. You can also create your own workflows from scratch.
13. A workflow designer is a tool that allows you to create and edit the workflow steps.
14. Here is how you can configure the required steps
- Manual Activities - These activities will have to be completed manually (e.g. Goal Setting, Self-assessment, manager-assessment
- Auto Activities - You will prefer some activities (e.g. publish feedback) to be completed by the system automatically. These activities are called auto activities
- Router - Routers help to decide the flow based on some condition. For example, if goals are approved, move to self-assessment; if the goals are rejected, then move to goal setting
- A new step can be added to the workflow by first dragging and dropping the required step from activities pane on the left
- Make sure each workflow has Start and End Step as well as End Workflow as an auto step. If the End Workflow is not configured, then the system terminates the process instead of closing the feedback loop.
- To add a new auto activity, first, drag & drop the base for auto step and then the activity
- To add a new manual activity, first, drag & drop the base for manual step and then the activity
15. Here is how you can configure the workflow properties
In workflow edit mode, you can configure the various properties of the workflow task.
- In Task Details, provide a Code, Name or label to the task to identify the activity discretely from the remaining and set Ordinal to tell the system the order in which the task should be performed
- In Customize, provide the details to trigger automatic emails on completion of the activity
- Context Menu - This is the text that appears in concerned employee's My Action Items
- Status: Displays the status of the activity in My Action Item with respect to the employee current status on completion of the process
- Confirmation Message: Displays the notification or alert message when submitting the form on completion of the activity
- Success Message Displays the success message on successful submission of the feedback form
- Manage Privilege: Enables the HR Admin to assign relationship for each activity
In Conditions, you can define the Task Condition Expression that helps to perform the task action if the expression is true
- The Outcomes & Status of the task list the different activity outcome details that can be used in the task condition expression that best fits the requirement
Linking Tool or Connector (simply an "Arrow" ) connects to show a jump from one point in the process flow to another. The two steps Auto and Manual are connected in sequence to flow as an activity in the process flow. This enables to establish WHO does WHAT and WHEN and WHICH possible path can be taken for a particular outcome. Thus, one task output becomes an input for the next activity and triggers that activity.
You can just drag and drop the linking tool of one activity to connect to the linking tool in any other activity. A successful connection is indicated by an arrow symbol.
The connection arrows indicate the direction of flow from one step to the next step or decision of another.
16. The workflow changes are tracked with a versioning mechanism.
17. Once all the steps are defined save the workflow and click the BACK button and go back to the previous page.
18. Publish the workflow. Only the published version of the workflow is used for future feedback cycles.
19. The workflow changes are not reflected in the ongoing review cycles.
20. So it is recommended to review the workflow and make any changes before starting a cycle.
Synergita has a library of workflow activities from which HR admin can pick the required activities and design the review process.
The below table has a list of major workflow activities. Please review the list and define the activities required for the review process.
|Set Goals||Set Goals activity can be used for setting the goal for employees.|
|Approve Goals||Approval activity for goals. The goals shall be reviewed and approved/rejected. Upon rejection, set goal activity is reopened for making changes.|
In the case of 360-degree reviews, let the employee choose the reviewers such as peers, reportees, etc.It is also possible to configure a standard set of reviewers (say employee and manager) in the system. In this case, the system will automatically assign the reviewers and this step is not required.
|Approve Reviewers||The manager can review the list of reviewers nominated reviewers and approve/reject specific reviewers.|
|(Mandatory) Raters Feedback (Primary Activity)||All the designated reviewers provide feedback and ratings to the employee. For example, employee and manager provide feedback in the system.|
|Approve Feedback||This activity is to review the feedback. Approved feedback progresses to next activity; upon rejection, "Provide Feedback" activity is reopened for the manager to change feedback/ratings.|
|Second Level Approve Feedback||Second level approval for feedback.|
|Provide Recommendation||Recommendation form includes the final rating, score & promotion recommendation.|
|Approve Recommendation||This activity can be used for review of recommendation.|
|Second Level Approve Recommendation||Second level approval for Recommendation|
|Approve Feedback & Recommendation||Combined activity to review both feedback and recommendation|
This activity is for publishing the feedback. Once published, the feedback becomes visible for the employee in the system.The system can also automatically publish feedback.
|Publish Recommendation||This activity is for publishing the recommendation. Once published, the recommendation becomes visible for the employee in the system.|
|Publish Feedback & Recommendation||Combined activity for publishing both feedback and recommendation.|
|One-on-One Meeting||Meeting summary form is used for capturing the details of the discussion between manager and employee.|
|Recommend Training Courses||The manager can recommend training courses for the development of employee; this requires a set of training courses already entered into the system.|
|Process Effectiveness Survey||Process feedback form comprises a set of questions to get employee's inputs about the Organization & performance management process. This data is accessible only for HR.|
Please refer the Synergita Workflow Activities list for an additional list of activities.
PS: Synergita implementation for your Organization may vary on how the features described here. The given screenshots may also vary from what you see in your system. Please talk to the concerned person in the Organization for any specific queries.