1. What is a 360 Degree Appraisal?
This is a process in which employees receive confidential, anonymous feedback from the people who work around them. This typically includes the employee's manager, peers, direct reports, and in some cases, customers and vendors. The process enables to collect of feedback from a variety of people with whom the employee interacts regularly. This process works best when an employee works in a group.
2. What is the significance of 360 Degree Appraisal?
The 360 Degree feedback is more reliable and can be collected from all the people like employee's manager, peers, direct reports with whom the employee interacts regularly. The people may also include employees working in other departments and division. When similar feedback is received from different people, it becomes difficult to ignore the given feedbacks which are identical.
The main significance of 360 Degree feedback is to
- Understanding the strength and weakness of an individual employee from the eyes of other stakeholders
- Building development plans for employees for reaching the next level in their career
3. Who all can be included in the 360 Degree Appraisal?
Any person who comes in contact with an employee and can provide valuable insights. Typically the following people are included:
- Superiors (Manager and Skip Level Manager)
4. What are the components of 360 Degree Appraisal?
The 360 Degree feedback essentially consists of two components namely,
- Feedback form (includes soft skills, leadership competencies, people competencies, etc.)
- Workflow on how the feedback process will be executed.
5. What are the types of 360 Degree Appraisal?
There are two types of 360 Degree Appraisal. They are
- 360 Degree Internal - This includes the individual employee, employee's manager, peers, and subordinates
- 360 Degree External - This includes the individual employee, employee's manager, peers, and subordinates, and may also include external sources such as customers or vendors.
6. What is assessed in a 360 Degree Appraisal?
Employee's Behavior and Competencies are reviewed and assessed. These reviews and assessments are usually done parallel to the half-yearly and/or annual performance appraisal.
This can also be conducted as a separate cycle focusing on employee development. These are usually a more specific and objective assessment of an employee's:
- Soft Skills
- Satisfaction survey
- Leadership effectiveness
7. Are there any specific criteria to set up the questionnaire?
The assessment criteria should be relevant and specific questions. The questions should cover a broad range of workplace competencies based on the objective of the 360 Degree Appraisal.
For example, Skill and Knowledge assessment help determine how well the individual employee knows about the job, company, and industry and how well the employee utilizes the individual skills to complete the tasks effectively. Thus, this will ensure the feedback is honest and transparent and at the same time, and the acceptability of the feedback will also be higher.
On the other hand, a behavior assessment may include interpersonal skills, communication effectiveness, attitude towards work and others and how well he is able to adapt to the demands of changing the business environment. The Competencies may include Leadership competencies, People Competencies, Customer Orientation, etc. to get to know the employee better.
8. What are the advantages of 360 Degree Appraisal?
- Employees get self-aware and understand the area in which they need to improve
- Employees discover their strengths and weakness and choose a career path that suits them best
- Employees can opt for a personalized training program that aligns with the behavior expectations of the organization
- Focuses on the individual employee development skill
- Creates a supportive work environment.
9. Is it possible to have anonymous feedback with Synergita?
Synergita can protect your employee's identity and make them at ease to open up their true feelings and opinions.
Employees will be able to see the comments given by different reviewers for each goal and competency section. Employees will see “Self” comments and all the Reviewer comments. The Reviewer comments will be shown as “Anonymous”.