One of the benefits of OKR is its ability to track progress considering all the other aligned objectives and dependencies. Two main components attribute to the computation of the progress percentage of OKRs.
- Key Results: The measurable Key Results contribute to the Objective's progress.
- Contributors: These are the child objectives that contribute to the progress of the Parent objective.
Here are two scenarios of how the system computes the OKR progress percentage of a company, Team, or Individual OKR.
In this scenario, the Objective is created with measurable Key Results. The Key results contribute to the objective's progress. There are no contributing OKRs.
The progress of each Key Result impacts the overall progress percentage.
The Key Results progress is updated based on target types.
- Number Target Type: The progress can be updated either by mentioning the achieved target or by dragging the progress bar. You can also update the achieved target.
- Text Target Type: You can update the progress percentage by either dragging the progress bar or manually entering the percentage of completion. Also, update the achieved target.
- Boolean Target type: You can update the progress percentage by either dragging the progress bar or manually entering the percentage of completion. The status is marked as completed only when the achieved progress percentage becomes 100.
The overall % of completion for the above scenario is calculated as given below:
Objective completion percentage = Sum of Key Results progress percentage/ Number of Key Results
The next scenario is where an Objective has Key Results and one or more contributing objectives. The screenshot below shows the contributors and their achieved target percentage.
The scenario is depicted in the flowchart.
The Parent objective target progress is determined based on the progress of measurable Key Results and the contributors aligned with the parent objective. The logic of the calculation of the Achieved target percentage is given below.
[(Sum of key results progress percentage of the parent objective/Number of key results) + (Sum of the percentage of the contributing objectives)] / Number of Contributing objectives +1 (which is the Parent Objective].
Based on the progress percentage of the contributors and key results, the overall progress percentage of the parent objective is computed.